Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Home Stretch...

We are on #15 and #16 in our Learning 2.0 lessons and this one, for me, was very interesting. I find I like the idea of a collaborative web project as opposed to some of the "Me" centered other web projects. The online social community was starting to sound quite self-centered so this was a breath of fresh air. In Wiki land I like the idea that everyone can contribute and so it's a group effort. I find when in groups I am inspired, get great energy and wonderful artistic ideas, much more so than when I am by myself. So...

I really liked this particular podcast and enjoyed listening to some practical applications for the Wiki from Sarah Hunt. As I was moving through the different Wikis for the discovery exercise I found all kinds of interesting info and great ideas for Wikis to be used in Library settings.

At the SJCPL Wiki I ran the bunny trail and found the computer classes had posted the handouts for the class in PDF format right on the Wiki. What a great idea to have something to look at before you go to the class or even after if you have lost your papers. Nice practical application. As a side note a co-worker and I are responsible for the display in August. We are trying to make people aware of the databases and other webservices available in the library. We are making book lists and I found some great titles on this Wiki. Now, I hope we have the books in our system!

I visited the Wiki for the ALA in Seattle and found a link to an article in the Seattle Times about "Ordering coffee, masters degree required?". I found out that the Macchiato I always order has nothing to do with not being stirred or the caramel that all of them seem to have but is actually a espresso with a dollop of foam. Apparently this drink can cause quite a bit of grief in coffee houses where people are expecting the Starbucks, Tullys variety.

I went to the Booklovers Wiki which I thought was just alright.

The idea I liked best was annotating the catalog. So many times I am browsing in OPAC for a patron and there is nothing written about the item, I have to jump over to Amazon. How wonderful it would be to have a wiki capabilitiy in the catalog, with careful supervision, so people could comment on books or other items that they are familiar with. A quote I liked "The wiki will develop organically to reflect the interests and the needs of the group who worked on it." I know I have already stated I like the energy from a group but again I also like the idea that you don't have to be a programmer to be able to write to one of these. It definitely "levels the playing field".

I also found out that Wiki means quick in Hawaiian.

This red balloon was a fun one to chase.

"What kind of place is this? It's beautiful: Pigeons fly, women fall from the sky! I'm moving here!" Guido from La Vita e Bella

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you... a lot of applications that are there just for putting out information about me are less interesting to me. Although it is amazing to see how others maximize it and make it work for them. Library thing did not resonate with me as much, just for the simple reason that I don't see myself putting all that effort into cataloging my books... I would much rather read... and there are so many books waiting.