Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Bunny Trails and Red Balloons...

I used some of the RSS search tools to look for blogs or feeds that I might be interested in. I have to say I was dissappointed. When putting in say "altered Books" into the search engine I ended up on the bunny trail from hell. It was slow going and I never did find what I was looking for. I did find a blog using Topix.net called "ask the crafter". You ask a question and the blogger posts about the answer. Kind of interesting. I added it to bloglines so I could find it again and see what ends up being posted.

I also found 'Grace County' which I just thought was really pretty. I didn't read the entire post but I wanted to be able to find this again also.

Bloglines kept locking up on me and then this message would come up saying "bloglines seems to be having troubles right now. You can refresh and try again" Very annoying!!

I found two library themed blogs using googleblog search. Both came right up and were exactly what I was looking for. One is 'the Shifted Librarian' which is about doing the 27 things in 15 minutes for each thing. I thought this was intriguing and I wanted to explore more on this site so I added it to blogline. I also found an interesting blog from the UWSP library in Wisconsin. They basically have a book of the week sort of 'on display'. There's a write up on the book and where you can find it by it's Dewey number. Nice! I will be curious to see what books are on display in the future.

I like fast searching. I don't like searching forever for one thing. I thought feedster was horrible. Every time I searched I never did find exactly what I wanted and it took a lot of time. As far as searching with syndic8.com....Blech! It was so busy looking when I opened it I didn't even try and use it. Less is more guys! It was to visually overwhelming for me.

On a side note...I love chasing the red balloon. My family coined this phrase after seeing an episode of Malcolm in the Middle where Malcolms little brother chased a red balloon, that had gotten away, for hours. When he lost the balloon finally and looked around he realized he had no idea where he was or how he got there. I have a habit of doing this very thing especially if I have my camera. I will be walking around and taking pictures and it's as if I don't see anymore through my own eyes but only see through the lens. If I am driving and I chase the red balloon it's usually cause I've seen something really pretty or unusual. I think "that would make a good photo". I once drove my daughter to a class and then saw some really pretty trees, then I spotted a really cool lamp post. I drove around like that for about half an hour and realized once my balloon 'popped' that I had no idea where I was. It took some time to find my way back to the right road. In saying all of this my point is that some times search engines can take you on a merry chase after info that you are seeking. 2 hours later you're on youtube watching a U2 video and you can't quite remember how you even got there when you were just looking up info about those new long life light bulbs. Beware the searching...

...or you could waste time reading this long post! The choice is yours!! :)

"Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter." Kip from Napolean Dynamite

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Not only is it fun to accompany you on your long journeys through cyberspace, but I love your quotations, too!

Unknown said...

Well I did read your long post and I learnt a lot more about you. Just as impulsive as I thought.... hmmmm...seriously I had fun visiting. I had fun setting up my RSS feed. I have nothing glorious to report. I like Word of the day... what more can I say.....

Judi W. said...

I hope you find my Ask the Crafter site helpful. I'm learning a lot from it myself! Have you tried using Technorati to find blogs that you might be interested in? Do you follow Craftzine or Whip-up? They always have links to great blogs. Of course if you're not careful you'll spend half your day reading them!